My thanks to the Scottish Beagle Club for inviting me to judge their 2010 Championship show at the Lanark Agricultural Centre, a super venue and thanks to the exhibitors for supporting this show.
The show was conducted in a most pleasant atmosphere and the support for the class winners was super. Grateful thanks to my most competent steward who kept the show rolling at a good pace. Without his assistance we would not have finished so early. We had 140 beagles from an entry of 160 with 21 absent.
It is 26 years since I last judged beagles in Scotland and a number of years since I judged in the UK. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of quality, especially in bitches. In a number of classes there could have been many more 1st place cards, certainly under FCI grading there would have been plenty of excellent.
In an overall picture of the breed I thought the movement and construction was excellent, particularly in bitches. Head shape and appeal was superior in the females, one or two with frowns but not excessive, some feet and pasterns could be better, dentition was mostly correct, a few misplaced incisors. Most had dark appealing eyes a couple had large round eyes, a couple with more oriental eyes, but in general this was not a problem. A few males had strong heads though not course, toplines were excellent as were most tailsets. There were a few stuffy necks but these were in the minority.
I understand kennel cough has been doing its rounds again, this may have contributed to the number of absentees.
1. CH MADIKA NUTCASE. At 12 years as sprightly as ever, well constructed and moving soundly. 2. CH BEDEWAY ARTFUL JW at 8˝ yrs can still give many hounds a run for the sausage. 3 FLURRIES BRIGAND
1. BELLVALLEY DANNY BOY a bright tri with a delightful character a pleasing head with well set on leathers and a good eye. BPD & BPIS 2. SWEETWELLS SUMMER & SMOKE unlucky to meet the 1st, a delightful tri puppy, nicely balanced with short hocks, a very sound mover. 3. DAPPERDAWG FORBIDDEN ISLE
1. TANNAHILL VIPER a very sound b/tri of a larger mould. A pleasing head and expression. Moved well around the ring, I would hope he wouldn’t grow on too much. 2. SERENAKER FOXTROT a well constructed free moving tri puppy, very promising, I just preferred the head of the 1st. 3. SWEETWELLS SHARE THE SPIRIT
1. EARDLEY DUNCAN DISORDERLY a very compact tri, mature for his age, a pleasing head and expression, ultra sound mover, should have a big future RDCC 2. RAIMEX RUSKIN another nice youngster from this kennel, a sound moving b/tri, well constructed, stronger in the head than the 1st. 3. NEDLAW SUNBIRD
1. RAIMEX RUSKIN 2. NEDLAW SUNBIRD 3. DAPPERDAWG FORBIDDEN ISLE
1. NEWLIN ANCHOR CHIEF ultra sound T&W with a well shaped head, well placed leathers, good overall balance, sound mover. 2. RAIMEX RUSKIN 3. CALLIDONAINE THUNDERSNOW
1. FALLOWFIELD BARNEY a smaller tri with a lighter frame, well made body, sound movement, not my preferred head but better than most in this class of many strong heads. 2. CALLIDONIANE EMERALD a tri of nice style, sound movement, I would prefer a bit more leg to balance this dog. 3. ARDVRECK CAERLAVEROCK VON DAPPERDAWG
1. NEWLIN BAILIFF JW a super b/tri hound, excellent in every quarter, every bit a stallion, showed well and moved with purpose. Stood out from the crowd. DCC & BOS. 2. BELLVALLEY MADDOCK a tri with a good head and expression, sound mover with excellent balance. 3. DIALYNNE CHE GUEVARA
1. NEWLIN VICTOR OF SALENKO JW ShCM a well constructed T&W, nice shape head, good low set leathers, ample bone, good feet and pasterns, well balanced with sound true movement. 2. SERENAKER TRIAL BY MAGIC similar qualities to winner, could swap places on another day. 3. BARRISTERS YANKEE DOODLE DANDY AT FALLOWFIELD
1. CH & IR CH GEMPENI WILDFLOWER one of my all time favourites a 13 year old broken tri who loves her showing as much as ever, ultra sound for her age, can still out move many youngsters.BVIS well deserved 2. ROCAMAR SMILES AT MADIKA ShCM at 8 years very sound, unlucky to meet class winner. 3. SABINHAY FAIRMAID
1. BAYARD MAKES AMENDS, well balanced tri with a nicely shaped head. Sound movement and excellent feet. This kennel produced some of the best feet of the day. 2. FULLCRY SOLO a delightful soft expression, has many of the qualities as the 1st. 3. FALLOWFIELD HONEYSUCKLE
1. DAVRICARD MATILDA a T&W with super head and expression, true movement, soundly constructed. 2. WILLIAMSWICK DREAMER OF MACALL a lighter boned b/tri, nice shape, sound movement. 3. ORCHIDVALE FLAMBOYANT
1. A pleasing class of youngsters 1. BALGOWAN TIGER LILY, a super sound L&W with a delightful head and expression, a good overall balance, moved with purpose. 2. SERENAKER MAGGIE MAY tri with many qualities of the 1st, excellent throughout. 3. FALLOWFIELD DESTINEE
1. DAVRICARD MIRANDA a smaller tri, true sound movement 2. ORCHARDVALE FLAMBOYANT a quality b/tri well made and moves soundly, pity the dark face detracts from the obvious qualities of the head. 3. WINTER PANSY
1. VALSACRE ECHO a true moving b/tri, nice shape, pleasing head with good neck and shoulders. 2. RAIMEX ROWANBERRY sound moving b/tri, nice head and expression. I would have preferred a little more length on the leg to improve the balance. 3. NEWLIN CHALICE AT MOLESEND
1. SABINHAY CHICORY a lighter framed b/tri, good breed type, nice head and expression moves well, super feet and pads. 2. DAVRICARD DAYDREAM T&W good type, well constructed, sound mover, excellent feet. 3. RODDWOOD BUNTING
1. BAYARD BETTER BY DESIGN tri typical quality from this kennel. Excellent throughout, level topline at all times, well set on tail, pleasing head with low set leathers, good neck and shoulders, well sprung rib, good bone and super tight well padded feet. Excellent reach & drive BCC & BIS 2. BARTERHOUND BOUQUET FOR GEMPENI JW ShCM b/tri with a soft expression, true movement, ample reach and drive. 3. BENROMA WILLOW AT CARVAHA
1. DIALYNNE MINX a b/tri with a soft expression and good head, ultra sound throughout super reach and drive. Another quality beagle from this kennel. RCC & RBIS 2. ORCHARDVALE ANGELICA OF BRESKAR ShCM a smaller T&W with plenty of quality, good head and conformation, a lot to like about her. 3. CH NEWLIN UNA OF LOWYCK